Sunday, November 11, 2007

Artist: Zhang Huan


Biography
1965 - Born in An Yang City, Henan, China
1988 - BA from Henan University, Kaifeng, China
1993 - MA from Central Academy of Fine Arts, Beijing, China
Lives and works in Shanghai and New York

Although he was trained as a painter, Zhang Huan is a performance artist who uses his body to express his ideas.

The Third Leg
1993
Beijing, China

In an interview, Zhang Huan states,
The turning point came in 1992 when I found the leg of a mannequin. I took it back to my studio and started experimenting, sticking my leg in it or tying it to myself. I feel that was an important moment as it let me create a direct link between my body and art. I realised I could use my body as a work instrument.




My America
2005
Seattle Art Museum, USA











Window
2004
Shanghai, China

No comments: